Friday, June 30, 2006
Caramel vers FRESH MILK
90 g (3 tbsp) granulated sugar (gula hangus)
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp hot water
a pinch of cream of tartar(kalo takder pun takper)-just ntuk colour lawa jer...
250 ml (1/2 pt) milk
60 g fine sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
prepare steamer and custard cups
1. prepare the steamer.
2. heat the heatproof custard cups in the steamer, after a while ,take out then wipe them dry.
prepare the caramel
1.heat all ingredients for the caramel in a thick saucepan except the hot water, until the caramel becomes golden. Add the hot water immediately to prevent the caramel from overbrowning.
2.tilt or shake the saucepan. Do not stir the caramel with a spoon.
3.pour equal amounts of hot caramel in2 the warm custard cups and turn the cups quickly round and round until the bottom of the cups ar evenly coated with caramel. leave aside to cool.
prepare the custard
1. mix egg n sugar, beat gently to mix it well.
2. Add in milk and vanilla essence. Mix well. (Do not make the custard mixture foamy)
3. strain the custard into caramelled custard cups and allow to stand for a while( for bubbbles, if any, to settle)
steaming the custard
1. cover the custard cups with greaseproof paper.
2. lower the fire n steam the custard for about half an hour or till the custard is firm and cooked.